This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1126925

Location

THE RECTORY, 206, FULBRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be upgraded to Grade II* (star):-

PASTON TF 1802 FULBRIDGE ROAD 18/47 No 206 The Rectory - 7.2.52 II

and the entry shall be amended to read:- TF 1802 PASSION FULBRIDGE ROAD 18/47 No 206 The Rectory - 7.2.52 II*

Rectory, now private house. Circa C13-C14, early and late C16 and C19. Limestone with ashlar east front. Limestone tile roofs with gabled ends. Brick and stone axial and lateral stacks; S wing has brick axial stack with 4 conjoined octagonal shafts of moulded terracotta. Plan: H-shaped plan. The main range probably a C13-14 aisled hall; the E end of the N cross-wing possibly also medieval but remodelled as a 2-storey porch in circa late C16; S cross-wing probably early C16 has projection at centre of S side. The space between the cross-wings on the E side of the hall is an early to mid C19 addition. Exterior: 2 storeys, part with attic. 1:3:1 bay east front in ashlar. Gabled cross wings to left and right with moulded coping, finials, 4-light moulded stone mullion windows; right hand cross- wing 2 storeys and attic, formerly a porch with blocked round arch doorway with imposts, spandrels and moulded cornice above. Single storey centre 3 bays projects, has battlements, 2 large 12-pane sashes and doorway on left with fielded 6-panel door with overlight with integral lantern; hoodmoulds. LH (S) return asymmetrical 2:1:2 bays; gable on left with 2 large 12-pane sashes and French casement below; gabled projection at centre with 2-light stone mullion windows, 2 bays to right with 12-pane sashes on ground floor and 2-light casements above with intersecting glazing bars and hoodmoulds. Interior: S cross-wing has pilastered stone fireplace with panelled overmantel; room above has fireplace with 4-centred timber lintel and the room behind (W) has C18 panelling and ceiling cornice. Inside the roof of the main hall range are 3 pairs of trussed rafters, each with 2 collars halved and lap- jointed with diagonal soffit pegs; the trusses set on wall-plates about 4'6" inside the walls. At S end of main range a C16 clasped purlin roof with collar trusses and wind-braces. Sources: VCH Northants. Vol II p 512. RCHM Peterborough New Town, 'A Survey of the Antiquities in the areas of development'. HMSO 1969 pp 57, 58, 59. w

------------------------------------

PASTON 1. 1500 FULBRIDGE ROAD No 206 (The Rectory) TF 1802 18/47 7.2.52. II 2. 2 storey H-plan building in stone with some brick. Stone slate roof. Main north-south range is of mediaeval origin. The north-east wing has stone walls on the lower storey which may be of mediaeval origin, but was remodelled to form a 2-storey porch in the late Cl6. The south-east wing is probably of the early C16. In the C19 a single storey extension was built between the 2 wings and the north end of the house was enlarged. Stone mullioned casement windows. Shaped finials on gables. Attractive row of red brick and stone chimneys. Interior:- oak panelling and stone fireplaces. See:- VCH Vol II p 5l2; RCHM.

Listing NGR: TF1832902224

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , Peterborough New Town: a survey of antiquities..., (1969), 57-59
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906), 512

National Grid Reference: TF 18329 02224

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:32:39.

End of official listing