BISHOPS GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1126939

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 07-May-1973

Statutory Address: BISHOPS GATE, PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISHOPS GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1126939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 12:46:51.

Location

Statutory Address: BISHOPS GATE, PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 19292 98626

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. PETERBOROUGH 1500 PRECINCTS Bishop's Gate (Formerly listed as Abbot's Gate & ranges to East and West) TL 1998 NW 1/376 7.2.52. II GV 2. Mainly built circa 1220 by Robert of Lindsay. Square turrets project at quoins, having crenellated parapets. 3 storey height. Each of the 2 turrets has a trefoil headed niche containing a statue of an abbot and prior, one of which may represent Godfrey of Crowland. Centre is gabled, containing a statue of King Edward, seated, above windows of 4 and 8 lights, strings between storeys. Centre archway has 4 orders of colonnettes with moulded capitals. Inside tyre archway, the main chamber has blank arcading and quadripartite vaulting. The room above the entrance, known as the Knights' Chamber, was formerly decorated with pictures of the knights who met there. The windows have been altered in Jacobean style. Nos 24 to 28 (consec), Bishop's Gate, and King's Lodging form a group.

Listing NGR: TL1929298626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49673

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing