CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127000

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 09:29:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Witchford

National Grid Reference: TL 50381 78789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITCHFORD MAIN STREET TL 5078 (South Side)

20/31 Church of St Andrew 5.2.52 - II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, and 1376 nave and chancel. Field and rubblestone and dressed limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with end parapet to chancel. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel. Three-stage embattled west tower has C18 gault brick repairs. No plinth and unbuttressed. Dressed limestone quoins. Restored west window of two lights in two centred arches and similar paired lights to bell stage. Nave: Three windows of three cinquefoil lights with Decorated tracery in two centred arch with label. Continuous double chamfered north and south doorways. Nave buttressing has off-set. Canted west walls with single lancet to connect with west tower. The chancel has east window of three lights with Decorated tracery. Interior: C17 staggered butt purlin nave roof. C13 two centred tower arch partly blocked. Chancel arch is two centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital. Two niches, C14-C15, flank the chancel arch. There is a low side window in the south wall. The font is C13. Limestone. Tapering octagon on a column with splayed lower edge and moulded holdwater base.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.504 V.C.H. Cambs. IV

Listing NGR: TL5038178789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49521

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 504
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

End of official listing