BURY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127019

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: BURY HOUSE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127019 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 09:07:31.

Location

Statutory Address: BURY HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Downham

National Grid Reference: TL 52589 84117

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 58 SW DOWNHAM MAIN STREET I (South Side)

4/4 Bury House 5.2.52

GV II

House. Dated stone plaque 'RC 1700' on east wall. Early C19 and c.1900 renovations and alterations. Rendered brick; plain tile roofs, and reused material from demolished Bishops of Ely's Palace buildings. Two storeys, attics and cellar. Three unit plan with rear kitchen and original lobby entry sealed c.1900 when main entrance removed to west. Tumbled parapet gables with end stacks and ridge stack to left of centre. C19 closed gabled porch with moulded round arched doorway with 'Bury House' inscription and double doors. Three three-light casement windows with patterned glazing bars to upper panes, three similar but smaller first floor windows. Interior details largely C19; reused C15 timber, some with double ogee-moulding, in side purlin roof and floor frames.

V.C.H. p90 R.C.H.M. (Cambs. notes) 1977

Listing NGR: TL5258984117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49457

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 90

End of official listing