CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127032

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:35:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stretham

National Grid Reference: TL 51197 74610

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRETHAM HIGH STREET TL 5174 (West Side)

24/19 Church of St James 5.2.52 GV II*

Parish church. C14, west tower and north nave arcade. Extensive rebuilding and alterations of 1868 by St Aubyn. Coursed sandstone and limestone with plain tiled roofs and crested ridge tiles. Plan of west tower, nave and north and south aisles, north and south transepts and chancel. West tower, C14, of three stages with original angle buttressing, parapet and newel staircase in north-west angle. Ashlared octagonal spire has two tiers of gable Lucarne lights, C14. West window of three trefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two centred arch. Second stage has a single light window to each side in two centred arch of two chamfered orders. The bell stage has a two centred arch to a two-light opening in each side, each with a trefoil head. Nave. 1868. Clerestorey of five windows to each side, each of two trefoil lights. South aisle has windows of three trefoil lights in ogee arches and square heads. Gabled and buttressed south porch has two centred outer arch of two moulded orders. The south transept has three cinquefoil light window with foiled head. the chancel east window has five cinquefoil lights in a foiled head. Interior: C14 west tower arch. Two centred and of three continuously moulded orders. North arcade also C14. Four bays. Two centred arches of two hollow moulded orders, one with a broach stop on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. There is a continuous label with mask stops. South arcade, 1868, of four bays. Two centred arches on columns with moulded capitals and bases. A continuous label also has mask stops. North and south transepts are C19. The nave roof is in four bays and of braced collar rafter type with Queen struts and two tiers of curved wind bracing to the purlins. The aisle roofs are also 1868 and have similar wind bracing. Two centred chancel arch of two orders, the inner on corbels carved with stiff leaf foliage. The chancel roof is in four bays with braced collars and queen struts and wind bracing to the purlins. Monument: North wall of chancel, Anne Brunsell, wife of a rector, and sister of Sir Christopher Wren. Screen: C15. Single light divisions with open upper stage having cusped crocketed ogee arches and panel tracery. Monument: Recess in chancel wall. Inscribed tomb. Nicholas de Kyngestone, rector in late C13. Brass: Joan Swan d.1497. Font: C13. Tapering octagon on central stem with eight subsidiary stems with moulded capitals and waterholding bases. Plans, sections and elevations of the alterations to the church by St Aubyn are in the Rectory.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p462 V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. IV

Listing NGR: TL5119774610

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49494

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 462
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

End of official listing