This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1127041



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swaffham Prior

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jun-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49400

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014

TL 5663 15/176

SWAFFHAM PRIOR, HIGH STREET (East Side), Church of St Cyriac and Julitta

(Formerly listed as Church of St Cyriac)

19. 8.1959


Former parish church of C15 West tower, with early C19 nave, chancel, transepts. Except for the C15 West tower, the whole of the church was rebuilt c1805 to a design by Charles Humfrey of Cambridge. The church is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust. West tower, c1500, of rubble, clunch, flint with some limestone dressings to quoins, and door and window openings. In three stages, the ground and first stages being square but the bell stage is octagonal. The tower has a moulded plinth and a friezes of red brick and stone in chequer board pattern. There is a parapet with flushwork. The ground and first stage have two-stage buttressing, set diagonally and a newel staircase in the North East angle. The West doorway is of clunch in a two centred arch with a moulded label of limestone. Above, the West window has three cinquefoil lights with a transome in a four centred head. Each angle of the bell stage has a two stage pilaster buttress carried on a corbel carved with mask and other ornament. The bell stage has triangular weathering at its base. The bell chamber openings are of two cinquefoil lights in four centred heads. The rest of the church was rebuilt c1805 in gault brick with stone dressings to door and window openings. It is in Gothic style. The roof is slate and has an embattled parapet. There are diagonal buttresses. The nave is aisled and in three bays, and there are North and South transepts and a small chancel. It has a gallery at the West end. The parish was amalgamated with St Mary's in 1667.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p119, mon (2) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p467

Listing NGR: TL5682263899

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 467
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

National Grid Reference: TL 56822 63899


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:36:49.

End of official listing