BOLEBEC COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127049

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: BOLEBEC COTTAGE, 33, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOLEBEC COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 13:28:24.

Location

Statutory Address: BOLEBEC COTTAGE, 33, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Swaffham Bulbeck

National Grid Reference: TL 55648 62607

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5562 SWAFFHAM BULBECK HIGH STREET (East Side) 16/126 No. 33 (Bolebec Cottage)

GV II

House, dated 1587 on overmantel in ground floor rear room. Timber-framed, exposed in gable end with rendered infill. Plain tiled steeply pitched roof with original ridge stack of gault brick with recessed panel to base. Originally a three bay parlour wing to a hall, now demolished. Two storeys and attic, with the first floor jettied. Gable end has one C20 window to each floor but the ground floor window is flanked by two, three-light windows with original ovolo mullions. The framing is of substantial scantling and there are curved downward braces from the corner posts to the sill. Inside. The ceilings of the front and rear rooms are carried on prick posts with moulded heads. The inglenook at the rear has an overmantel of clunch in three bays divided by short pilasters. The end bays have the initials W.C. and S.C. and the centre bay the date 1587. There is some original panelling with a frieze in the rear room. An upper room has a main beam with ovolo moulding and an original fireplace of clunch, now badly worn. The roof is of clasped, through purlin construction. The middle rail in the North side wall has the mortices for the floor frame of the hall.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p107, mon (15)

Listing NGR: TL5564862607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49425

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing