PRIESTS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127050

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jun-1984

Statutory Address: PRIESTS HOUSE, 99, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIESTS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:22:28.

Location

Statutory Address: PRIESTS HOUSE, 99, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Swaffham Bulbeck

National Grid Reference: TL 55574 62250

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5562 SWAFFHAM BULBECK HIGH STREET (East Side) 16/129 No. 99 (Priests 19.8.1959 House) (formerly listed as Priest's House, High Street) II

House, originally an open hall, early C15 with a C16 jettied cross wing to the road. In early C16 the floor and chimney stack were inserted into the open hall. Timber-framed, rendered with Collyweston Stone slates and plain tiles. Hall timber-framed, plaster rendered with a steeply pitched, tiled roof with a ridge stack of clunch and brick. One storey and attics. The fenestration is all C20, but the doorways, although C20, are on the site of the original entries to the cross-passage. Jettied parlour range to road, mid-late C16. Timber-framed plaster rendered with a roof retaining some of the original Collyweston stone slates at the front and plain tiles at the rear. Two storeys. The jetty joists are moulded and two of the original four jetty brackets survive. Two C20 windows on site of late C18 or early C19 flush frame hung sashes at first and ground floor and one doorway of similar period at left hand. The blocked doorway to the right hand is reset and has an unmoulded four centred arch in a square head. At the front are cast-iron railings by Wilkinson of Ely, mid C19, in the form of panels with grotesque mask heads at the centres. Inside. The hall range retains the original cross-passage entries with opposing doorways and two adjacent doorways leading to the buttery and pantry. One of these service doorways has been remodelled but the other has been exposed to show a four centred arch in square head with the spandrels carved with foliate ornament and one with a shield of arms and the other with a bearded male head with a coronet, probably a king. The early C16 floor is particularly fine with hollow and roll moulding to both the main beams and the joists. The inglenook hearth, contemporary with the ceiling, is of clunch. The roof was originally of crown-post construction but only one end of the tie beam to the display truss remains intact, the rest has been removed. It has a double ogee moulding. Between the hall and service bay, there is a closed truss with close studding and curved downward bracing from a central post to the middle rail. The interior of the parlour range was remodelled late in C18, except for the first floor where the framing is visible. The posts have jowled heads and the main beams are stop chamfered.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p105, mon (8) Kelly's Directory

Listing NGR: TL5557462250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49428

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Cambridgeshire, (1847)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing