PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127104

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 01:40:46.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE LESS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Westley Waterless

National Grid Reference: TL 61792 56222

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 65 NW WESTLEY WATERLESS

6/171 Parish Church of 19.8.59 St Mary the Less (formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish church; chancel early C13, nave and aisles C14, west gable wall rebuilt c.1855 after collapse of C12 round tower. Chancel reroofed C19. Flint, brick and rubble walls originally plastered; clunch and Barnack limestone dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs. Wooden spirelet with lead covering and iron cross. Nave of three bays, arcades with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal piers with octagonal capitals moulded on four faces, chancel arch similar but with grotesques on capitals. Windows of north and south aisles foiled-two-lights in two-centred arches with fragments of C14 glass and Flemish glass. East window of three-lights; C13 lancet window and C14 ogee-crocketed-niche in south wall of chancel. Aisles and chancel with foiled piscinae. C14 stone effigy in south aisle. Brass floor monument to Sir John de Crete and his wife c.1325, noteworthy for being one of the earliest, possibly by Walter le Masun. Font C13, octagonal with lightly carved panels. Three tomb covers C13 fixed to west wall. Graffiti inscription on east reveal of easterly south aisle window records in C14 arabic the produce of the church vines. Small C19 pipe organ originally from Reach Congregational Chapel. Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.478 VCH, Vol. VI, p.180. R.K.M. Davies, The Parish Church of Westley Waterless, 1970. RCHM (Cambs. Notes, 1951).

Listing NGR: TL6179256222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49249

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Davies, R K M , The Parish Church of Westley Waterless, (1970)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 478
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 180

End of official listing