Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127112

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1984



Ordnance survey map of BOTTISHAM PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 15:48:29.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bottisham

National Grid Reference: TL 55034 60151


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 56 SE BOTTISHAM BOTTISHAM PLACE (North Side) 4/1 Bottisham Place


Farmhouse of several building periods, including at the South end a range probably of C15 origins and originally open to the roof, a C16 extension to the North, enlarged in C17 by a parallel passage range, and by a two bay service wing to North. The principal front to the South elevation was remodelled in early C19. Open hall timber framed cased in gault brick, with hipped tiled roof. The original three bay plan with a cross-passage at the low end of the hall is almost intact. The bay to the left hand has partly been removed. Two storeys. Two clasping pilaster buttresses frame a range of three recessed hung sashes with glazing bars. The doorway has a contemporary flat roof portico with slender fluted columns with entablature. The door is panelled. The C16 extension is also timber-framed and plaster rendered and was originally jettied on the side facing the High Street. The jetty has been underbuilt. the opposing wall has also been cased in brick. Gabled roof incorporating the C17 passageway. The ridge stack has been rebuilt and the gable end stack at the North end is C17. Two storeys. The fenestration is later and includes hung sashes of twelve panes each, on the East side. In the rear wall there is a C16 window probably reset with hollow and roll moulded mullion. The C17 two bay service wing addition is timber framed, cased in brick with gabled, tiled roof with a lower ridge than that of the C16 range. One louvered window at the gable end is original. The portable window with two fixed leaded lights is still used in this opening in the winter months. Interior: the original hall has no features or timber framing exposed, but the C16 addition has evidence of the jettied wall to the High Street. This wing has one ground floor room lined with early C18 panelling, a bolection moulded fireplace surround, and a first floor room has mid C16 panelling, probably reset. The overmantel has five small linenfold panels and three panels carved with the head of a man and a woman in roundels, one with the date 1654. Another panel has a shield carried by winged putti in a surround of floral ornament. The initials I.H. probably refer to John Hasell (d.1572) whose family probably owned the house at that time. Inside the C17 wing to the North, the roof trusses are of raised tie-beam construction.

R.C.H.M. (North East Cambs.), p.8 Mon (7)

Listing NGR: TL5503460151


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49274

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)

End of official listing