This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1127132

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51249

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLTON CUM WILLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD TL 65 SW 5/48 Church of St Peter 22.11.67 GV II* Parish church. C12 origin, mainly C14-C15 and C19. Fieldstone with clunch dressings repaired in limestone. Slate and tiled roofs. Nave, chancel and south porch. West wall of nave rebuilt c.1885 with gabled bellcot. South wall has two C14 windows, restored, of two lights each with reticulated tracery and one with a square head. There are reused C12 shafts in the mullions of the windows. Later two stage buttressing. South porch, C17 much rebuilt. Timber framed and red brick. Chancel, C15. Two windows in south wall of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. East window of similar period and of three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. Interior: C15 chancel arch. Two centred and of two orders, continuous ogee outer order and wave moulded inner order on responds with half columns embattled capitals and high moulded base. Chancel arch, C15 now with part reused at west end of nave to form a vestry. C15 nave roof. Octagonal crown post with moulded capital and base and two-way bracing to collar purlin on tie beam with shallow arch bracing and pierced spandrel work. Embattled cornice to wall plate of nave roof. Font: C15 and pulpit early C17, on modern base.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p313 V.C.H: Cambs vol VI p156



Listing NGR: TL6418552967

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 313
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 156

National Grid Reference: TL 64185 52967

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:00:45.

End of official listing