This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1127134

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Castle Camps

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51255

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CAMPS CHURCH LANE TL 64 SW 10/60 Church of All 22.11.67 Saints GV II* Parish Church. C13 origin. C15 nave and west tower. Restorations of 1850, 1855, 1876-1880. Flint, rubble and fieldstone and clunch and limestone dressings. West tower, nave, south porch chancel. West tower rebuilt c1851 following a fire. Three stages with embattled parapet, diagonal buttressing and two stage moulded plinth. West window with foiled head and bell stage with two light openings with foiled head and two centred arch. The aisleless nave has on south side two restored C15 windows with vertical tracery. The south porch rebuilt 1855. Inner archway, C15 clunch. Two centred arch of continuous hollow moulding in square head, with foiled spandrels and ogee outer moulding. Chancel has reset C13 south doorway. Two chamfered orders in two centred arch. Interior: Two centred tower arch of two chamfered orders. Nave roof reconstructed 1915 and in four bays and three trusses. Moulded tie beam with crown posts and downward bracing. Jackposts with bracing to the ties. Chancel arch two centred and of two chamfered orders with half octagonal responds. Font C13. Octagonal bowl of limestone on original stern and base with four modern reproduction shafts. Communion rail late C17. Oak, moulded rail, turned balusters, square newels, panelled with finials. Monuments: south wall of nave, reset, Thomas Wakefield (1610); Sir James Reynolds (1717) standing wall monument of white and grey marble sarcophagus with pyramid.

RCHM: Record card 1949 Pevsner: Buildings of England p314



Listing NGR: TL6256542540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 314

National Grid Reference: TL 62565 42540

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:28:04.

End of official listing