PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127146

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127146 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 15:06:04.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Toft

National Grid Reference: TL 36231 55778

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 35 NE TOFT CHURCH ROAD (East Side)

8/159 Parish Church of 31. 8.62 St Andrew

GV II*

Parish Church. Rebuilt using old materials on original plan in 1863 with north aisle added. Tower rebuilt 1894 in memory of E.A. Powell, rector 1843-92. Walls of field stones with limestone and clunch dressings. Tiled roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with embattled parapet and moulded plinth, two stage angle buttresses. South aisle with diagonal buttresses and plain ashlar parapet with moulded cornice; four, two-cinquefoil-light windows in two centred arches with quatrefoil. Chancel with two similar windows and priest's door. Parapet gables to nave and chancel with cross finials. Interior: C15 nave roof of five bays with moulded tie beams, curved braces to wall posts and embattled wall plates. Piscina with octofoil drain in chancel. Pulpit with carved linen fold panels C16, reconstructed. Alabaster figures and fragments set in south wall of chancel. Reset late C18 or early C19 glass in east window. For monuments and wall slabs see RCHM. Organ, a memorial to First World War.

VCH, Vol. V, p134 RCHM West Cambs. p207, mon. 1 Plate 13 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p472 Nelson, P. 'Some Unpublished Alabaster Carvings', Arch. J. LXXXII. 1925

Listing NGR: TL3623155778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51186

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 134
'Architects Journal' in Architects Journal, , Vol. 82, (1925)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing