This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1127190

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Caldecote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 35 NW CALDECOTE MAIN STREET (East Side)

7/50 Parish Church of 31. 8.62 St Michael and All Angels

II*

Parish Church. C14 nave, tower and south porch. South wall rebuilt c.1680. Chancel and north porch rebuilt by Kett 1859. Later restoration 1899. Walls of field stones with limestone dressings and some reused material. Plain tile roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with plinth and embattled parapet with gargoyle, four stage diagonal buttresses. Two-light belfry window with lower squared headed single-light window. Nave with gable parapet extended as buttress with three restored, two-light windows in two-centred arches. Porch with two-centred archway of clunch, restored. Chancel with gable parapet and diagonal buttress with C19 restored windows. Interior: Tower arch of three moulded and one chamfered order, chancel arch of two chamfered orders with attached shafts with moulded caps. Font, octagonal with moulded soffit and moulded base C15. Screen of three bays C15. Reset piscena with foiled drain.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p32, mon.1 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p313 V.C.H. Vol. V, p25

Listing NGR: TL3471356256

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 313
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 25
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 34713 56256

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:54:31.

End of official listing