PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127203

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, GRANSDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:40:56.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, GRANSDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Caxton

National Grid Reference: TL 30013 57807

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 35 NW CAXTON GRANSDEN ROAD

7/87 Parish Church of 31. 8.62 St Andrew

II*

Parish Church. Chancel and west wall of nave C13, nave, south aisle and tower C14 and C15. Restorations in 1863 when south aisle and south porch rebuilt, and 1929-30 and 1937. Walls of fieldstones and reused material with limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tile roofs. North elevations. Tower of three stages with moulded plinth continuous around angle buttresses. Embattled parapet and moulded cornice. Belfry window of two cinquefoil- lights in four-centred arch, small quatrefoil in square-light below with label. North nave wall buttressed, with three C19 windows and C14 doorway; blocked openings. Chancel, late C13 three restored windows, two with two-trefoiled lights in two-centred arches and one lancet window. Cross finials to parapet gables. Interior. Nave arcade of four bays with two-centred arches of two hollow chamfered orders with octagonal caps and bases. Tower arch of three moulded orders with semi octagonal attached shafts with moulded caps and bases. Stair turret in south-east corner. Chancel arch of two moulded orders with semi-circular shafts with moulded caps and bases. Double piscina C13 in chancel with two arches and five pointed star in line relief above and some painted banding. Sedilia, solid masonry with one seat at lower level. Coffin lid C13. For monuments and brasses see R.C.H.M.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p35, mon.1 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p314

Listing NGR: TL3001357807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51114

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 314
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing