PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127229

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127229 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 06:58:18.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Fen Drayton

National Grid Reference: TL 33956 68113

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3268-3368 FEN DRAYTON CHURCH STREET (South Side)

13/62 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 West wall of nave and lower courses of chancel and possibly the lower stage of the tower. Tower rebuilt c.1330; chancel, nave and south aisle C15. Roofs replaced in restoration of 1855. Barnack limestone, limestone and pebble rubble. Slate roofs. South elevation. Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, plain parapet with centrally placed gargoyles; broached octagonal spire with small trefoiled-lights on cardinal faces. Single trefoiled-light below belfry window of two-lights with foiled Y-tracery. Clerestory with plain parapet and gable has four, two-cinquefoil light windows in square heads. South doorway with two-centred moulded arch. C20 South porch. Chancel with two, three-cinquefoil-light windows each with panelled tracery in four-centred arches. 'Low-side' window partly blocked. South doorway has two-centred arch with chamfered orders. Two early C13 buttresses to west wall with markings of original aisle. Interior: South nave arcade of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases, similar chancel arch. Deeply splayed loop window in north wall of chancel. Tower doorway, two-centred arch with label. Sedilia and piscina in chancel, piscnae in north wall of nave and south aisle. Font, plain octagonal bowl set on modern columns. Glass, C15 fragments in several windows; memorial glass in chancel 1896, and 1901 by E.R. Soffling, London N.W. Brass on north wall of chancel, black marble slab with man and woman kneeling on each side of cross with inscriptions. C18 boxed pews used as choir stalls. Pevsner. Buildings of England p.384 William Cole MSS CRO R.C.H.M. (Cambs, notes and photographs) 1950

Listing NGR: TL3395668113

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50971

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 384
Other
Cambridgeshire Notes and Photographs, (1950)

End of official listing