THE THREE TUNS INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127232

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: THE THREE TUNS INN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE THREE TUNS INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:47:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE THREE TUNS INN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Fen Drayton

National Grid Reference: TL 33903 68250

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3268-3368 FEN DRAYTON HIGH STREET (East Side)

13/66 The Three Tuns 31.8.62 Inn

GV II*

Inn, Late C15 or early C16, and C17. Timber frame plastered and exposed; painted late C17 and modern brick. Plain tile and thatched roofs. Two storey jettied cross wing of three bays to later C17 main range of one storey and attic. Modern side stack to cross wing with jetty, underbuilt with brick casing original timber frame. C17 ridge stack with rebuilt upper courses to main range with late C17 tumbled brick parapet gable. Boarded door in cross passage position, three ground floor horizontal sliding sash windows with shutters and one casement attic window. Exposed close-studded timber frame to cross wing with tension braces terminating in studs; moulded jetty bressumer similar to mantel beam re-sited in C17 hearth. Interior. Very fine moulded cross beams with carved central boss and leaf stops to roll-moulded joists. Doorway in rear bay of cross wing with four-centred arched head and carved spandrels, was possibly entered from original hall, rebuilt and realigned in C17. Cross wing crown post roof complete; ridge piece to roof of main range. C17 floor frames. R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes), 1950 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.385

Listing NGR: TL3390368250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50975

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 385
Other
Cambridgeshire Notes and Photographs, (1950)

End of official listing