PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1127241
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127241.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:07:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Lolworth
National Grid Reference:
TL 36890 64183

Details

TL 36SE LOLWORTH CHURCH LANE (East Side)

10/88 Parish Church 31.8.62 of All Saints

II*

Parish church. Early C12 and C13 re-used stone fragments. Chancel and blocked north and south aisles early C14; later C14 tower. South porch rebuilt 1902. Restorations 1891 and 1914-18. Walls of limestone rubble, fieldstones, brick and re-used ashlar; dressings of freestone and clunch; slate roofs. South elevation. West tower of two stages with plain parapet and angle buttresses and moulded plinth band. Belfry window of two-cinquefoil-lights and quatrefoil. Blocked arcades of four bays with clunch infill and brick repairs, three reset late C14 aisle windows each of three-cinquefoil lights in four-centred arches with labels. South porch modern; south doorway, two-centred arch with continuous mouldings also reset. Chancel reduced in length, east wall C19, large two-light flat-arched window, priest's door with continuous moulded two-centred arch and jambs. Interior. C14 tower and chancel arches. C19 roofs; boarded five bayed nave roof with crown posts. Gaps in nave arcade blocking show octagonal clunch piers with moulded caps, and two-centred arches. Interior wall of tower lined with clunch, graffiti on tower arch, C16 belfry stair door. Chancel reduced in height, original windows blocked with splays and springing of rear arches visible. Font, late C14 clunch octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels. Fragments of medieval screen in tower. Church yard cross base in nave with socket for shaft. C13 coffin lid reset in tower floor. Brass to Margaret Cutts 1610, for other monuments see R.C.H.M. Panel painting of Raising of Lazarus, Flemish, C17. Royal arms 'GR 1721' in pediment, and decalogue, reproduced 1983, from original in tower. C19 memorial glass. Wall painting, C14, of Doubting Thomas, on nave wall now painted over. The Church is said to have been re-dedicated in 1406; much of the village was burnt in a fire in 1393. Cole MSS. CRO. R.C.H.M. West Cambs mon.l, p.170 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.431

Listing NGR: TL3689064183

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
50994
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 431
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01734/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].