Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1127243

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 03:54:58.


Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Papworth St. Agnes

National Grid Reference: TL 26796 64731


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/98 Manor House (formerly 31.8.62 listed as old Manor House)


Manor house. c.1585 possibly built for William Mallory (d.1586), plaster cartouches of Mallory arms and initials in hall and chamber. Additions in mid C17 and c.1700; C20 service wing. Re-used medieval Barnack limestone, limestone and clunch dressings, C17 red brick plastered, early C18 red brick and modern red brick. Plain tile gabled and hipped roofs. Two stacks, one with two patterned shafts. Two storeys and attics. The original late C16 house survives as hall, with crosswing to north and stair turret to the west in the angle of the two ranges. Main south entrance into a screens passage demolished perhaps in C17 when wing to west added. Further addition c.1700 completed the square plan. West elevation. Red brick with band at first floor and plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice. Canted bay window to left hand of six panelled door, and three-light horizontal sliding sash window to right hand; three similar first floor windows with flat gauged brick arches. South elevation, plastered with coved eaves. Two ground floor stone mullioned and transomed windows with shouldered architraves and cornice; three similar first floor windows. C16 blocked doorway with four-centred arched head to right hand. East elevation, original C16 facade with restored two storey canted bay window to crosswing and three-light attic window; one restored and one original five-light transomed window to main range. Interior. Outstanding plastered ceilings (plate illustrations R.C.H.M), wall painting in small attic oratory, garderobe closet, C16 clunch chimney pieces and later C17 and C18 brick hearths, fine C16 windbraced roof with later C17 and C18 roofs. R.C.H.M. West Cambs mon.2, p.199

Listing NGR: TL2679664731


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50999

Legacy System: LBS


An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing