This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1127266



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elsworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/46 Parish Church 31.8.62 of Holy Trinity


Parish church. Early C14 with C13 chancel arch and late medieval South porch. Roofs rebuilt in C16 and C17. Restoration 1876-7 and north aisle and part of north chancel wall rebuilt in 1891-2 by W.M. Fawcett. Limestone and pebble rubble partly rendered with limestone dressings. Lead roofs. south elevation; west tower of two stages, embattled parapet, moulded plinth band continuous around angle buttresses of three stages rising to crocketed pinnacles, projecting semi octagonal stair turret in south-east angle with pyramidal stone capping; belfry window of two ogee-trefoiled-lights with quatrefoil in head. South aisle and nave with moulded cornice. Clerestorey with four restored quatrefoil-lights, three bay buttressed south aisle with continuous band below windows raised above south doorway, two windows of three-lights with net tracery and mask stops to labels. South doorway of two continuous wave-moulded orders; south porch of two chamfered orders rising from moulded jambs with attached shafts and moulded caps, niche and sundial dated 1628 above. Chancel of three bays. 'Low side' window sealed from interior with original iron hooks and bars, four-light cinquefoil window in flat arch above and two three-light windows with net tracery, walls raised for new roof. Interior. Nave arcade of four bays with arches of two wave-moulded orders with filleted quatrefoil piers and rolls between moulded caps and bases. Tower arch of three wave-moulded orders, the inner rising from semi octagonal responds, evidence for vaulted tower ceiling. Chancel arch of two hollow-chamfered orders rising from short triple shafts on corbels with moulded caps. Double piscina with two, trefoiled arches and two drains possibly earlier and sedilia with trefoiled ogee heads; also piscina in north and south aisles. Roofs of nave aisles and chancel C16 or C17 of eight bays and five bays with plain chamfered timbers, eleven carved figures in C19 nave roof of six bays with stencilled decoration. Octagonal early C14 font with moulded base. For monuments and floor slabs see R.C.H.M. Pulpit late medieval restored. Pews in north and south aisles restored with carved poppy heads. Stalls in chancel C16 and earlier, backed by linen fold panelling. Reredos used as partition wall to vestry in north aisle; pedimented centre piece with paired Ionic columns installed by Elizabeth Holworthy c.1750 (William Cole). Communion rails C18. R.C.H.M. West Cambs p.83, mon.1 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.336 Evans, E. The Church and Village of Elsworth 1981

Listing NGR: TL3185463578

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Evans, E, The Church and Village of Elsworth, (1981)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 336
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 31854 63578


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127266 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:42:05.

End of official listing