BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127310

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127310 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 07:28:25.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Over

National Grid Reference: TL 37432 69992

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 36NE OVER NEW ROAD (South West Side)

4/110 Baptist Church

GV II

Nonconformist chapel with school room to right hand. 1810 with major alterations of 1830, 1917 and 1932. Gault brick with low pitch slate roof, hipped. Two storeys. Three c.1917 windows with stone surrounds at first floor and two at ground floor flanked by two doorways of similar period. Brick inscribed R.A. and 1810 near left hand doorway. The school room adjoining to the right is probably mostly c.1917 and replaced a C19 vestry. Also of gault brick. Interior: Various alterations have taken place to the interior of the chapel. It is galleried on three sides though the gallery has been reset. The pulpit and immersion chamber are at the West end, flanked by two doorways leading from the schoolroom (formerly the vestry). Monuments in chapel. Alice, wife of Nathaniel Gifford, 1835, signed Cannam, St. Ives; Nathanial Gifford, 1845, signed Cannam, St. Ives; Sarah (Lee). wife of Benjamin Cattell, 1818; Rev. Thomas Lee, 1806 pastor, oval tablet signed Wm. Haselgrove, Cam'ge; Elizabeth, widow of Thomas Lee, 1816, oval tablet; George Prudden, 1837; Susanna, wife of George Prudden, 1828. C.F. Stell. R.C.H.M. record cards Over Strict Baptist Chapel. Bicentenary Celebrations Booklet (1937)

Listing NGR: TL3743269992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50857

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Over Strict Baptist Chapel Bicentenary Celebration Booklet, 1937,

End of official listing