This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MILTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILTON HALL

List entry Number: 1127348

Location

MILTON HALL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Milton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Oct-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50662

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4862-4962 MILTON CHURCH LANE (North Side)

17/115 Milton Hall 27.l0.82 GV II

Small country house. c.1772, built for Rev Dr Knight, Canon of Ely. Gault brick, stone dressings. Low pitched hipped slate roofs. Symmetrical arrangement of central three storey block of three 'bays' with end stacks, flanked by two storey single 'bay' wings raised over basement with deep plinth; kitchen wing of two storeys to north-east. Semi-circular rear elevation of central block reflected in over plan of first and second floors. Wooden eaves cornices with dentil enrichment. Main elevation; three second floor, four-paned and central six-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged brick arches. Similar first and ground floor windows with eight- and twelve-panes. Tuscan porch approached by stone steps originally semi-circular in plan; round arched brick doorway with patterned fanlight and wide six-panelled door. Some C18 mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights to rear of kitchen wing. Interior. Geometric planned open string staircase with square balusters and mahogany hand rail lit by oval stair light with cast iron glazing bars. Original panelled mahogany and painted doors with some C19 attic doors; dentil cornice with composite pilasters and marks for two missing columns in panelled entablature in ground floor room of south west wing. Kitchen with sealed cooking hearth and stop-chamfered ceiling beams also in servants' hall and scullery. Servants stair. Brick vaulted basement. Some alterations to north-east wing and kitchen wing were made c.1955. Clay, W.K. History of Milton, 1869

Listing NGR: TL4806962956

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clay, WK, History of Milton, (1869)

National Grid Reference: TL 48069 62956

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127348 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:43:13.

End of official listing