CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127366

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:54:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Waterbeach

National Grid Reference: TL 49737 65099

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4865-4965 WATERBEACH STATION ROAD (South Side)

12/161 CHURCH OF ST JOHN 31.8.62

GV II*

Parish Church. Two arcade bays survive of small c.1200 aisled church possibly with transepts, extended by one bay to west in early C13 when tower arch and tower were added. South aisle rebuilt and extended in C15, clerestorey C15 with battlements dated 1616. Tower and spire rebuilt after collapse in 1821. Chancel rebuilt in Early English style 1849 and enlarged 1878. North aisle rebuilt and enlarged by W.M. Fawcett. Chancel redecorated internally with marble 1879-80 from designs by J. Ladds, diocesan architect. Walls of flint rubble and limestone rendered with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings. Lead roofs, plain tile chancel roof. North elevation; chancel with paired two-light windows, gault brick plinth. North aisle and clerestorey of three bays with C19 three-light, foiled windows in four-centred arches, embattled parapet. Porch with angle buttresses and reused C13 two-centred arched doorway with label and head stops. Tower with embattled parapet and buttresses of two stages. Interior. c.1200 arcade of two bays with octagonal piers with carved leaf decoration to capitals. Tower arch with similar details to west bay of arcade. Restored lancet west window. Nave roof C19, king post; south aisle roof C15, five bays with semi-octagonal shafts and moulded caps to wall posts supported on carved stone corbels. Monuments, C19 floor slabs, and black marble slab inscibed Wm Stone. Dr in Physick Fellow of College of Physitians in London 1679. Wall monument black and white marble to Samuel Peach 1832 by Patent works Westminster, glass, shields and symbols of passion C15 with inscription, 'Fragments collected and reset 1874 by WMF' in windows of south aisle. Two C13 coffin fragments in external wall. Clock purchased by church wardens 1746. Font and marble pulpit late C19. Builder, Sept. 1848 Fawcett drawings, originally at vicarage (1955) Faculty books 1863-76 p. 156 Pevsner, Buildings of England p. 476 R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes) 1955 Clay, K.W. Hist of Waterbeach p. 36 1859 Masters, R. Hist of Waterbeach

Listing NGR: TL4973765099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50707

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clay, W K, History of Waterbeach, (1859), 36
Masters, R, History of Waterbeach
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 476
'The Builder' in September, (1848)

End of official listing