This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DISUSED GRAND STAND TO FORMER RACE COURSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DISUSED GRAND STAND TO FORMER RACE COURSE

List entry Number: 1127413

Location

DISUSED GRAND STAND TO FORMER RACE COURSE, WHITE WATER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Peterborough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wothorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50506

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

1 5141 WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD TF 00 SW Disused Grand Stand to 8/710 former race course 10.4.81 II

The grade and the description shall be amended to read:

TF OO SW WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD 987-0/8/710 Disused Grandstand to former 10.4.81 racecourse II* Racecourse grandstand. 1766, probably altered a little in early C19 and circa 1875. Rendered brick with Ketton freestone dressings and limestone rubble. Later slate roofs largely collapsed. Rectangular plan with stair tower at the back.2-storey 5-bay arcaded front has almost entirely collapsed, but the 2-bay sides illustrate how the front appeared, with keystones to the large round arches, the ground floor with imposts, the first floor with moulded extrados and stringcourses above and at cill level; and with quoins at the corners. Short gable-ended wing at centre at rear. The open-sided top storey, illustrated in William Kemp's plan of the racecourse, was replaced by a pitched roof in the late C19. SOURCES: RCHME Stamford inventory [1977], fig.5.

------------------------------------

1. 5141 WOTHORPE WHITE WATER ROAD Disused Grand Stand to former race course TF 00 SW 8/710 10.4.81 II 2. Late C18 racecourse grand stand heightened and present roof and rear wing added circa mid C19. Rendered brick with stone dressings, and coursed stone rubble at rear. Low pitched slate roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. Two bays by 2 bays. Sides and front have 2 storeys of round arch arcades with keyblocked arches. Stone bands and quoins. Short gabled 2 storey and attic wing at rear. Most of the front arcaded wall has collapsed and the roof is falling in. Initials and dates scratched on piers and quoins - the earliest appear to be on rear north-east corner "GMR 1787" and another "WE 179(5?)" on the north-west corner.

Listing NGR: TF0358304146

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the Town of Stamford, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TF 03583 04146

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127413 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 09:04:50.

End of official listing