ORCHARD COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127561

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: ORCHARD COTTAGE, 61, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORCHARD COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 02:25:22.

Location

Statutory Address: ORCHARD COTTAGE, 61, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Meldreth

National Grid Reference: TL 37925 45023

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MELDRETH STATION ROAD TL 3745 (North side) 23/243 No. 61 (Orchard Cottage) GV II

Cottage. Dated 1662. Small c.1800 pantry extension to north end. Timber framed, plaster rendered and long straw thatch, half-hipped roof with ridge stack of red brick upper courses originally on timber framed and plastered stack (now replaced). A good example of three bay and lobby entry plan cottage. One storey and attic. Two dormers with C19 casements. Two casements on either side of doorway with boarded door to single bay pantry addition to the north end, c.1800, probably when the cottage was sub divided. Timber framed, rendered and thatched. One casement. Inside: cottage retains many original details including the internal partition walls at the service end and the staircase at the side of the stack. The framing is similar to that of other cottages of late C17 with straight downward bracing. Side purl in roof. Elm boarding to the floors. In the C19 there was a blacksmiths forge adjoining the cottage. The lintel over the original hearth was dated 1662. The lintel was deposited in a local museum following a fire in 1959.

R.C.H.M: Record Card (1949)

Listing NGR: TL3792545023

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52296

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing