BARON'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127609

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: BARON'S FARMHOUSE, 2, BARON'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARON'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:33:42.

Location

Statutory Address: BARON'S FARMHOUSE, 2, BARON'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Foxton

National Grid Reference: TL 41422 48370

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4148 FOXTON BARON'S LANE (North side) 19/49 No. 2 (Baron's Farmhouse) II

House. c.1560 by George Wells. Much altered externally and added to in late C19. Timber frame, rendered, low pitch late C19 roof of slate. The side stack of reused red brick is C19 and possibly on the site of the original. Two storeys. Mid-late C20 fenestration and doorway. In late C19 lean-tos were added to the side walls, and the slate roof carried down over them. Inside: The two bays of the c.1560 house remain intact. Peg-holes indicate that the original house was of two bays. The centre truss has an arched brace tie beam and all the main posts have heavy, jowled heads. At ground floor there is an original partition wall between the two rooms. The hall has a fine c.1560 ceiling of double ogee moulded joists, closely set and laid flat with leaf moulded stops. Similar, larger mouldings to main beam and cornice. The house is included for the timber framing of the original structure and the ceiling of the hall.

Rowland Parker: The Common Stream R.C.H.M.: Record Card

Listing NGR: TL4142248370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52098

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parker, R, The Common Stream

End of official listing