COTTAGE ON THE GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127613

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: COTTAGE ON THE GREEN, 4, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of COTTAGE ON THE GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 05:57:21.

Location

Statutory Address: COTTAGE ON THE GREEN, 4, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Foxton

National Grid Reference: TL 40807 48062

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4048 FOXTON THE GREEN (West side) 18/55 No. 4 (Cottage on the Green) 22.11.67

GV II

Cottage. Possibly an open hall built 1501 for Richard Peppercorn, with floor and stack inserted into hall and front wall repaired 1583. Timber framed, plaster rendered and long straw thatched with ridge stack of red brick and single flue. Three bay plan including a narrower bay for a buttery and pantry at the north east behind the chimney stack. One storey and attic. One gable dormer with horizontal sliding sash. Two flush frame horizontal sliding sashes at ground floor. Doorway to lobby entry probably inserted 1583, now blocked. Doorway now in south end. Inside: The front wall of the cottage has been rebuilt. The sole plate has peg holes on the lower edge and, unlike the rear wall, rests on brick footings. The framing is of substantial scantling, closely set and uniform. The parlour, at the south end, has an original ceiling with some inserted timbers. The joists are laid flat and unmoulded and there is a frame for a ladder staircase in one corner. The partition wall between the parlour and hall is original and rises through the attic storey. The hall has a c.1583 ceiling of closely set joists, laid flat, with stop chamfers and a main beam with an ogee stop chamfer. The joints are carried on a chamfered clamp which is nailed to the middle rail of the partition wall. The inglenook has been cased. A staircase possibly of 1583 cuts through the downward bracing of the central truss and leads to the attic storey. The roof is of clasped side purlin construction with some inserted timber. There is a single wind-brace associated with the truss nearest the chimney.

Rowland Parker: The Cottage on the Green R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950)

Listing NGR: TL4080748062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52104

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parker, R, The Cottage on the Green

End of official listing