This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

18, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 18, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1127617

Location

18, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Foxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52117

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4048 FOXTON HIGH STREET (South east side) 18/69 No. 18(formerly 22.11.67 listed as Tumble Twist Cottage) GV II

House. c.1550 for John Fuller with alterations of c.1660. Timber frame, partly exposed in gable end to road, but mostly plaster rendered. Tiled roof with original moulded barge-boarding and pendant to gable end. Red brick side stack to rear wall, c.1660, with stepped offsets and two partly rebuilt octagonal stacks with moulded brick caps and octagonal bases. Later stack to south gable end. Two storeys. Front wall originally had mid C16 window openings with moulded mullions. Three mid-late C20 casements at first floor. Originally three doorways in four centred arches at ground floor, now replaced by modern doorways. Rear wall retains part of one mid C16 window with moulded mullions. Inside: original plan of three bays and two rooms. The partition wall is carried up from ground floor to the roof space. The parlour has intersecting main beams carved with running foliate ornament to the chamfer and three roll mouldings to the soffit. c.1660 fireplace possibly a replacement. The pey holes in the middle rail and wall plate indicate that there was studwork originally which was removed when the chimney was inserted. Red brick with four centred arch, ovolo moulded. There is a similar fireplace at first floor. The adjoining room has exposed stop chamfered joists, laid flat. The framing is of close set studwork with downward wall bracing. The main posts have jowled heads. Both first floor chambers were open to the roof which is of clasped side purlin construction width paired wind bracing.

R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950) Rowland Parker: The Common Stream

Listing NGR: TL4096748198

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Parker, R, The Common Stream

National Grid Reference: TL 40967 48198

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:38:16.

End of official listing