CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127621

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 22:07:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Great Eversden

National Grid Reference: TL 36654 53329

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3653 GREAT EVERSDEN HIGH STREET (South side) 12/81 Church of St Mary

22.11.67 II*

Parish church. Rebuilt after a fire in 1466. Restorations of 1864 and 1920. Fieldstone, clunch rubble and dressings of clunch and limestone. Tiled roof. Plan of west tower, nave and chancel. West Tower of three stages on plinth with three stage diagonal buttressing and newel staircase at north east angle. Rebuilt embattlement. Restored west window of three lights. Single light window with trefoil head in two centred arch to each side of second stage. Bell stage has original clunch dressings to two light openings with foiled heads and two centred arches. Nave has two late C15 windows, restored, in south wall. Chancel with resort fenestration. Each window of three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. North porch, dated 1636 on gable. Framed, rendered, and tiled. North and South doorways have continuous ogee mouldings to four centred arches on chamfered bases. Interior: nave roof in three bays. Late medieval. Arch braced, cambered tie beams. West tower arch, two centred and of two aisles. Outer hollow and roll moulded, inner chamfered. Responds with half octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and high bases. Chancel arch is similar and has a rood loft stair opening on north side. Chancel has late medieval roof. Arch braced tie beams with the wall posts resting on stone corbels. The wall posts have engaged shafts with embattled capitals and moulded bases. The cornice is also embattled. Piscina, late cl5-early C16 in East wall of chancel. Pulpit, early C17 on modern base.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs Mon. (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England

Listing NGR: TL3665453329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52130

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing