BARRINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127632

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: BARRINGTON HALL, 9, HASLINGFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARRINGTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:36:50.

Location

Statutory Address: BARRINGTON HALL, 9, HASLINGFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Barrington

National Grid Reference: TL 39548 49986

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3949 BARRINGTON HASLINGFIELD ROAD (West side) 17/7 Barrington Hall (No. 9) GV II

Manor house. C17 origin altered and extended c.1920 by W J Kieffer and H J Fleming for Capt. J N Bendyshe. Brick, rendered and hipped tiled roof to south east range. Two storeys and attic. South east main front has symmetrical facade framed by rusticated quoins. Two, two-storey canted bays, flank the central bay with doorway in round headed arch and doorcase of open Pediweiit and rusticated surround. Hung sashes with glazing bars. On the west front there is an Adam style four columned colonnade. Inside: Open well early c18 staircase with closed string iron-twist balusters, turned newels and moulded rail. An upper room has early C18 fireplace with pulvinated frieze. The back staircase is also early C18, closed string and turned balusters. Home of the Bendyshe family from C15 to 1937.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (6). V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. 5 p. 150 Burkes and Savilles: Guide to Country Houses Vol. III East Anglia

Listing NGR: TL3954849986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52051

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 150
Kenworthy Browne, J, Reid, P, Sayer, M, Watkin, D, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in East Anglia, , Vol. 3, (1981)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing