WALLS AND PLAQUES TO FORMER SLUICE ON RIVER GRANTA WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127654

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: WALLS AND PLAQUES TO FORMER SLUICE ON RIVER GRANTA WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND PLAQUES TO FORMER SLUICE ON RIVER GRANTA WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 15:34:58.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLS AND PLAQUES TO FORMER SLUICE ON RIVER GRANTA WEST OF PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Great Abington

National Grid Reference: TL 52656 49225

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE ABINGTON TL 5249 Walls and two plaques to former 9/213 sluice on river Granta west of Parish Church of St Mary

II



Sluice walls and two plaques dated 1721. Limestone plaques, local stock brick wall. Originally sited on opposite banks each plaque is inscribed 'The bottom or lowest part of this stone is the height of ye Floodgate of this sluce 1721'. The original three-sluice dam and new cut were part of a scheme for flooding the water meadows between Abington and Babraham, designed and partly executed by Hugh May (1621) in c.1654 for his cousin Thos Benet of Babraham. A law suit in c.1720 against John Benet by Thos Westernerequired a flood gate to be erected to prevent flooding in Abington. A new cut further south in the C19 possibly made the C17 sluice redundant, and it is possibly then that the two plaques were sited on the south bank wall.

V.C.H. Vol. VI, p.25 C.R.O. Account of C17 Water Meadow.

Listing NGR: TL5265649225

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52008

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 25

End of official listing