This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ABINGTON POTTERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABINGTON POTTERY

List entry Number: 1127657

Location

ABINGTON POTTERY, 26, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Abington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52017

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5249 LITTLE ABINGTON HIGH STREET (South-West Side)

9/36 No. 26 22.11.67 (Abington Pottery) (formerly listed as Nos 33, 35 and GV II* 37)

House. Late C15 or early C16 with mid to late C16 and late C18 or early C19 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with plain tiled roofs. Red brick ridge stack to left hand and external stack to right hand gable. Open hall with two storey bay to north-west and cross wing to south-east originally jettied to the street. Boarded door to right hand; four ground floor casement windows include three with transomed-lights and two-centred wooden heads, and one similar first floor cross wing window, and one original six-light moulded mullioned window. Interior: Cross wing of three timber-framed bays with crown post roof and internal partitions, one original three-centred arched door head. Cross passage behind inserted hearth with original external entrances now blocked; open hall of two timber-framed bays with smoke blackened, wind braced side purlin roof with evidence for an earlier floor and partition in north-western bay. Inserted stack with hearth partly sealed and inserted roll-moulded ceiling beams; closed truss to north-west of hall with no apparent entry to two rooms of end bay. Late C16 or early C17 hearth to north-west ground floor room with staircase in outshut to rear. Traces of vermilion paint on bricks and some timbers. Two C17 doors, one with bolection moulded panels and one panelled. The house was converted to three dwellings in c.1830 and was renovated by the Cambridge Cottage Improvement Society in 1934; it became a pottery in 1964.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p4

Listing NGR: TL5330849176

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 4
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

National Grid Reference: TL 53308 49176

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127657 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:17:13.

End of official listing