79 AND 81, HIGH STREET, 1 AND 3, COLES LANE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127668

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: 1 AND 3, COLES LANE

Statutory Address: 79 AND 81, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 79 AND 81, HIGH STREET, 1 AND 3, COLES LANE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 02:36:46.

Location

Statutory Address: 1 AND 3, COLES LANE

Statutory Address: 79 AND 81, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Grid Reference: TL 56203 46834

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5646 LINTON HIGH STREET 16/134 Nos. 79 and 81 and 22.11.67 Nos. 1 and 3 Coles Lane (formerly listed as Nos 3 and 5) GV II*

House divided into four dwellings. Early C16 with late C17 and C18 alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plastered with C20 pargetted panels replacing bolection moulded late C17 pargetted panels in front elevation. Painted brick plinth. Large red brick ridge stack and rebuilt ridge stack to rear. Plain tile roofs hipped to east and rear stair turret. Two storeys with cellars, L-plan, original building with continuous jetty to south and east with deeply chamfered corner post (qv Guildhall), with some defaced carved ornament; bracket with carved head and jewelled decoration to west end of jetty. Late C17 modillioned eaves cornice to south elevation. Main entrance (No. 81) approached by brick and stone steps, and entrance to west both with C18 panelled doors. One ground floor twelve-paned hung sash window and one canted oriel window with hung sashes. Two first floor cross-framed windows with casements. Rear wing (Nos. 1 and 3 Coles Lane), two storeys with four first floor and four ground flush-framed twelve-paned hung sash windows of various sizes. Two doors; C18 six-panelled door, and C19 flush-panelled door. Interior of No. 81: Bolection moulded two-panelled late C17 doors with original hinges, some early C18 panelling forming partition walls. Staircase with central newel post. Home of Robert Cole corn chandler and cousin of Wm Cole the antiquary in 1725, first purchased by the Cole family 1675.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton, 1913 CC Stevens, R.L. Linton P.C.Pubs 1982, p55

Listing NGR: TL5620346834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51948

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, W M, The Antiquities of Linton, (1913)
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing