THE BELL INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127671

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: THE BELL INN, 95, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BELL INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 07:22:14.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BELL INN, 95, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Grid Reference: TL 56304 46824

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5646 LINTON HIGH STREET (North Side)

16/137 No. 95 (The Bell 22.11.67 Inn)

GV II

Restaurant formerly an inn. Mid C16 with C17 additions and later alterations. Timber-framed rendered, and exposed; east yable partly weatherboarded. Plastered plinth. Plain tile roofs. Red brick ridge stack to left of centre. Two storeys with rear outshuts and stair turret, original three unit plan with continuous jetty to main elevation. Five timber-framed bays, close-studded with wide tension braces trenched behind studs and nailed, exposed at first floor which formerly had bolection moulded plaster panels (qv Nos. 79 and 81). Panelled door to main entrance approached by steps recessed into C19 passage cut through chimney stack. Boarded door to east in cross passage position. Two ground floor metal casement windows and one oriel window to left of entrance. Three first floor casement windows with C20 leaded lights. Interior: Original plan altered, service partition removed and entry to staircase opposite stack sealed. Roll and hollow chamfered moulding to floor joists. Some C17 carved panelling and frieze panels, octagonal newel post to staircase. The inn has been called The Bell from c.1670; 'Ms 48th Reg 1814' painted on a beam (Palmer).

Palmer, W.M. and Morley, Photographic Collection pl.27 1913, CC Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton, pll 1913 CC R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H. Vol. VI p83 Stevens, R.L. Linton, P.C.Pub. p55. 1983

Listing NGR: TL5630446824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51951

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, W M, The Antiquities of Linton, (1913), 11
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 83
Stevens, R L, Linton
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing