UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127686

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, 12, HORN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127686 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 03:47:48.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, 12, HORN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Grid Reference: TL 56023 46634

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5646 LINTON HORN LANE (South-West Side)

16/175 No. 12 (United Reformed Church) (formerly 22.11.67 listed as Congregational GV II Chapel)

Chapel. 1818. Red brick with stucco to north elevation. Slate roofs. Single storey, rectangular plan with small apse to south with vestry possibly a later addition. North elevation: symmetrical, with three unequal bays divided by giant pilasters with moulded caps and round headed blind arches. Triple doorway in central bay with wooden pilasters and entablature, two double panelled doors with elliptical patterned glazing bars in rectangular fanlight flanked by two similar doors and fanlights. Round headed arched window with margin glazing bars above entrance. Two ground floor and two first floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows with segmental arches in outer bays. Interior: Lobby with two gallery staircases, and central entrances. Gallery on three sides supported by four slender square, panelled, wooden pillars, front, with applied decoration to panels, rounded at corners. Apse with moulded round arch springing from capitals with half dome ceiling housing the organ installed in 1827. Seating original, rostrum and pulpit late C19. Eight wall memorials include two with white marble ovals set on black marble plaques to John Taylor d.1786 and others by W. Haselgrove, and to Ann Brightwell d.1781 and others by J.P. Biggs. Black marble plaque in lobby to William Maling d.1720 and others. Clock by Dison of Linton. Edmund Taylor, tanner d.1804 left a pair of cottages in Horn Lane for a new meeting house built in 1818 at a cost of £1,000. It replaced the original chapel built in 1698, and which fronted the river.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H. Vol. VI, p103 Seaman-Turner. Non Conformity in Linton. 1976 Stevens, R L Linton Notes C.C. 1983

Listing NGR: TL5602346634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51989

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 103
Stevens, R L, Linton
Turner, S, Non Conformity in Linton, (1976)
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing