THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127694

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, 3, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127694 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:28:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, 3, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Grid Reference: TL 56232 46770

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5646 LINTON CHURCH LANE (South Side)

16/88 No. 3 (The Old 22.11.67 Vicarage)

GV II

House, formerly the vicarage. Late C17 with C18 and early and late C19 alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plastered, painted late C17 red brick and C19 red brick. Plain tiled half hipped roofs. Side stacks to left and right hand wings, rectangular planned ridge stack to left of centre. Two storeys with attics and cellar. Half H-plan with later south-east rear wing including the original staircase hall. Late C19 service wing and attached outbuildings enclosing a small yard to left hand. North elevation: symmetrical facade with openings altered c,1800, four-panelled door with round headed fanlight in double recessed round headed brick arch. Four ground floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows and four similar first floor windows. Carved and moulded wooden eaves cornice, painted brick plinth. Interior: details of late C17, deep cornice, two bolection moulded chimney pieces at first floor; two-panelled doors some with additional C19 panels, fine closed string staircase rising in four straight flights to attic with twisted balusters. Two plaster panels in west cross wing. Resited early C17 panelling in study. C18 raised and fielded panelling with some C19 restoration. Wine vault and ice closet with original drainage channels in cellar. The house was a school in the late C18; in 1873 it was known as 'Winchester Lodge' a boarding school for girls. In 1896 alterations to a vicarage cost £1,266.

V.C.H. Vol. VI, p100 R.C.H.M. Report. 1951 Stevens, R.L. (unpublished records) Millicent and Paris Maps 1600. Pembroke College Plans for 1896 alterations C.R.0.

Listing NGR: TL5623246770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51901

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 100
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing