This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

INTERNATIONAL STORES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: INTERNATIONAL STORES

List entry Number: 1127706

Location

35, HIGH STREET
INTERNATIONAL STORES, 33, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Linton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5446 LINTON HIGH STREET (North-West Side)

15/122 Nos. 33 22.11.67 (International Stores) and 35

GV II

Large shop and dwelling part formerly an inn. Late C15 and late C17 with mid C18 and late C19 alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plastered, painted C18 and C19 brick. Slate roof hipped to street elevation and pantile roofs. Gault brick end stack to left hand, red brick ridge stack and two rear stacks. Two storeys with attics and cellars. Eleven 'bays' to street elevation with main C17 central range of five 'bays' refenes.trated in mid C18 incorporating C15 range to north-west and cartway, late C19 extension of three 'bays' to south-east. Central five 'bays' with moulded eaves cornice, band between floors and brick plinth, has main entrance approached by three stone steps with double panelled-doors and wooden doorcase with paired reeded columns, panelled reveals and dentil enrichment to cornice. Doorways to south-west and north-east. Six ground floor twelve-paned hung sash windows in segmental arches now blocked as blind windows and one four-paned hung sash window to right hand. Nine windows and two blind first floor windows include seven twelve-paned hung sash windows. Four flat roofed dormer windows, two with casements and two with horizontal sliding sashes. Rear wings with stair turret and extensions. Range to north-east has a surviving one and a half timber-framed bays of the Griffin Inn, jettied to the south-west, (qv Chaundlers), which faced the original open market. A ground floor room has wall paintings of a repeat pattern of floral enriched quatrefoils. The property was owned by weavers and drapers in the C18, by Thos Maris a collar maker in 1792, from 1840 by J Tyler a grocer and draper; in 1858 it became Holttums general store. The inn was closed in 1860 when the market ceased.

W.M. Palmer and Morley Photographic Collection. CC W.M. Palmer, 'The Antiquities of Linton', 1913. CC W.M. Palmer, 'Wall Decoration at Linton', PCAS XXX 1928 Map of Manor of Bergham 1600. Pembroke College R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H. Vol. VI, pp83, 96 Stevens, R.H. Linton P.C.Pub. 1982, p22 and unpublished records

Listing NGR: TL5596546760

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, W M, The Antiquities of Linton, (1913)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 83
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 96
Stevens, R L, Linton
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 30, (1928)
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

National Grid Reference: TL 55965 46760

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127706 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:37:23.

End of official listing