Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1127726

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967



Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:32:36.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hildersham

National Grid Reference: TL 54535 48834


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/66 Parish Church of 22.11.67 Holy Trinity


Parish church. West tower c.1200 and vaulted sacristy, early C13 nave and south and north aisle with clerestorey rebuilt later C13, north-east vestry late C14. (South chapel known as Bustelar's Chapel demolished 1803). Chancel rebuilt 1856, south transept late C19. Restoration of roofs and church from 1878 to 1890 by C A Buckler (1824-1905). Walls of flint rubble with limestone dressings, clunch interior dressings; stone slate and slate and lead roof coverings. South elevation: West tower, with limestone quoins and lancet-lights, raised c.13 feet in C19 with two-light foiled belfry windows and plain parapet. Nave, with similar quoins may retain some c.1200 fabric, steeply pitched roof, three restored, foiled, square clerestorey lights. Restored C14 two-light windows with net-tracery repeated in C19 chancel, and large C19 south window of south transept with C14 cross finial resited on parapet gable. South porch C19 two-centred arch of two chamfered orders. Chancel with angle buttresses. Two bay north and south nave arcades, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with labels towards the nave, on quatrefoiled piers and shafted responds with deeply moulded capitals, and bases raised on stone bases. Chancel arch with similar details to arcade. Two similar two-centred arched doorways to tower. Tower ladder stair medieval, with later rungs. Chancel decoration planned by Rev James Goodwin and completed by his son, similar to T Gambier Parry's church at Highnam in Gloucestershire and believed to have been painted by Italian craftsmen, restored in 1973 by Campbell, Smith and Co directed by Mr S E Dykes Bower. The decoration consists of stencilled floral patterns and painted panels of scenes from the Bible. Reredos of alabaster and marble 1871. Arched braced C19 roofs; nave main trusses springing from stone corbels with painted shields of arms of Lords of the Manor. Four brasses and indents in chancel, from north to south. (1) Small purbeck slab with effigies about 20 inches high. A knight in mail with baseinet sword and misere; lady in cloak, gown with long sleeves and head kerchief. Rectangular matrix for inscription panel below, and beneath the woman a Paris shield of arms (twin unicorn heads). Beneath the figure of the knight a worn matrix for second shield perhaps Henry Paris Esq d.1427 and his wife Margaret. (2) Purbeck slab with 3 foot high brass of skeleton in shroud slightly mutilated c.1530. (3) Purbeck slab. bareheaded knight in armour with exaggerated elbow-pieces, sword slung in front, lion at feet, with crocketed ogee canopy with cinque-foil cusping terminating in small mutilated Trinity. Knight was Henry Paris (Cole), dated perhaps 1488, two Paris shields of arms. (4) Purbeck slab with large foliated cross flanked by two kneeling figures, centre-piece octofoil frame with rich sub-coping; matrix for plinth and four steps. Central frame encloses a 'Duality' of God the Father seated holding crucified Son. Two figures, to right hand a man with long cloak, short tunic and bareheaded, to left hand a lady with long-sleeved gown, head kerchief and cloak. Beneath the man the Paris shield of arms, beneath the woman a shield with cross patence and two crescents in chief. Brass ascribed to Robt Paris and wife 1379 or 1408 (RCHM). Coffin lid late C13 or early C14 reset in north wall of chancel, purbeck marble with low relief of cross with trefoiled ends on stepped base. C15 glass reset in south window of chancel of God the Father and Virgin and Child. C19 east window by Clayton and Bell. Floor slab inscribed to Thomas Salt d.1806 and his wife Mary d.1811. Monuments in south chapel; grey marble slab inscribed to Sir Wm Andrew Bart d.1759 and above a separate slab with Andrew coat of arms in a cartouche; white and grey marble slab inscribed to Philip Southcote Esq d.1758, and above a separate slab of coat of arms of Southcote impaling Andrew; damaged black and white marble slab with urn and drapery to John C Middleton Esq of Hildersham Hall d.1826; white and grey marble slab inscribed to Edward Southcote Esq d. 1780, and below a separate slab of Southcote coat of arms in a cartouche. (Two wooden effigies of knight and lady c.1300 on wooden slabs stolen in 1977). Font. C13 octagonal bowl with panelled sides of simple trefoiled arches with attached shafts at angles each with moulded caps and bases, supported on central shaft with four octagonal outer shafts each with moulded caps and chamfered bases, it is mentioned in the Versus Libes Arch. Eliensis c.1278 as 'a font with a lock'. Oak cover 1974. Early C17 communion table.

VCH Vol VI p 67 RCHM Report 1951 (includes description of stolen effigies) Coles, W. Notes c.1740 Pevsner Buildings of England p 406 Philips, P.R Holy Trinity Church, Hildersham, Cambridge 1980

Listing NGR: TL5453548834


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51879

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 406
Philips, PR, Holy Trinity Church Hildersham Cambridge, (1980)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 67
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing