TL 36 SE MADINGLEY CHURCH LANE
31.8.62 Chucrh of St Mary
Parish Church. C13 chancel, late C13-early C14 nave, west tower, and north
aisle. Clerestorey added C15. General restorations of 1872-4, and 1885.
Tower and spire top stage rebuilt 1926. Pebblestone, clunch and limestone
dressings, with tiled, slate and leaded roofs. Plan of west tower, nave with
north aisle and north and south porches and chancel. West tower, c.1300, of
pebblestone, rendered, Embattled four stages with reticulated tracery to two
trefoil lights of west window. Bell stage has two trefoil lights with
Y-tracery in two-centred heads to each wall. Small C14 spire, stone ashlar.
Nave with rendered walls and C15 clerestory of five windows each of two,
cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. The gable of the original c.1300
root is visible at the west end. South porch much restored, chancel of
pebblestone, probably mostly C19 restoration. One lancet and one C14 window
with reticulated tracery both much restored, to the south wall. The east
window has three graduated lancets, also mainly C19 alterations. Inside.
c.1300 tower arch; two centred with hollow and roll moulded orders in
segmental arch. North arcade of similar date and in five bays. Two centred
ho low and roll moulded orders on columns of quatrefoil section with roll
moulding in the angles, and moulded capitals and bases. C19 roof. Chancel
arch, two-centred and of two chamfered orders on half-octagonal engaged
columns to responds. Deep splays, C13, to restored fenestration of north and
south walls of chancel. Font C12 of stone. Square bowl with sides divided
into panel and carved with chevron tooth and interlaced arcading. One C13
stem, square with angle shafts. Communion rail. Late C17 or early C18 and
reset probably from Great St Mary's, Cambridge. Glass, seine C16 reset, in
windows in south wall of chancel. South wall, window with two embattled
figure. c.1525, probably Antwerp. Reset. Female figure composed of Justice
and Charity and male figure, possibly Charlemagne. Monuments. North aisle,
West end. Jane Cotton, 1707. Wall monument in stone and beck marble with
effigy in the round. Chancel. North wall. John Hynde Cotton, 1807 grey and
white marble signed Rd. Westmacott, London; Dame Jane Cotton (Hynde), 1692.
Wall monument of alabaster and black marble; Elizabeth Stewkely, 1636, a
female infant. South wall. Commander Charles Cotton, RN 1828 signed by
Richard Westmacott, South Audley Street, London; Sir Charles Cotton, Admiral
of the White, 1812 signed Flaxman, R.A. Sculptor.
R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Plates 5.12,13
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p434
Listing NGR: TL3950460336