STABLES, COACH HOUSE AND SERVICE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1127820

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: STABLES, COACH HOUSE AND SERVICE BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLES, COACH HOUSE AND SERVICE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 14:36:46.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLES, COACH HOUSE AND SERVICE BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stapleford

National Grid Reference: TL 49376 53349

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 45 SE STAPLEFORD GOGMAGOG HILLS Wandlebury 5/203 31.8.62 Stables, Coachhouse and Service Block, (formerly listed as Stable Block at Gog Magog Hills) GV II

Coachhouses, stable and service block now dwelling-houses and shop for Cambridge Preservation Trust, mid-late C18. Stone dressings to sills. Parapetted, hipped roof of plain tiles surmounted by octagonal cupola with clock, leaded. Four small stacks. Plan of main range with two rear wings forming three sides of a courtyard. Two storeys and attics. North side: Round headed archway to carriageway entry in slightly projecting, pedimented centre bay. On either side are four bays each with a casement to each storey. South side: Centre block in seven bays flanked by wings of three bays each. Small recessed hung sashes of nine panes each on first floor and larger hung sashes, probably C18, with thick glazing bars at ground floor. The openings to the original loose boxes in the wing to the west have been retained. A memorial to Godolphin Arabian has been placed under the stable archway, mid C18. The estate at Wandlebury was acquired by Francis, 2nd Earl of Godolphin in 1734 and used principally as a racing establishment. The house was demolished in the 1950's.

Listing NGR: TL4937653349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51604

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing