CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127829

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 09:21:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Barton

National Grid Reference: TL 40784 55726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4055 BARTON CHURCH LANE (South Side)

12/14 Church of St peter

Last but one sentence of the description shall be amended to read "R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon. (1) Plate 53"

------------------------------------ TL 4055 BARTON CHURCH LANE (South Side) 12/14 Church of St Peter 31. 8.62 II*

Parish Church. Chancel, C14 with fragments of Cll and C12 in west end of south wall. Nave and west tower are also C14, but the tower is possibly late C14. Fieldstone, and clunch, rendered and repaired and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Plan of west tower, nave south porch and chancel,, West tower of three stages, embattled, with gargoyles to the cornice. Newel staircase in south west---angle and original diagonal three-stage buttressing. Fenestration and bell stage openings restored in Ketton stone. Nave has four windows, restored, each of three trefoil lights in two-centred ashlar with flowing tracery. The outer arch east of the south porch is much restored, and the inner has two continuous hollow moulded orders in a two-centred arch. Chancel windows similarly restored. East window late Cl14. Three cinquefoil lights in four-centred arch with hollow moulding and vertical tracery to the head. The north side of the chancel has similar but less weathered fenestration. Inside: Roof, C19 in five bays. West tower arch of two hollow moulded orders in two centred arch. The interior of'the church is noteworthy for its C14 wall paintings in the nave and the chancel screen which is in five bays and two stages. The open, upper stage has subcusped tracery to enriched ogee arches in square heads with vertical tracery to spandrels. The closed lower panels are partly restored, but the original ones retain traces of painting. The pulpit, 1635, is hexagonal., with C19-C20 stem, and original jewel work to the panels and drops to the tester. Font of limestone. Tapered octagonal bowl on octagonal stem, carved. C13-C14. Brass in chancel. 1593 John Martin and wife. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Pevsner. Buildings of England, p299

Listing NGR: TL4078455726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51623

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 299
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing