This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST MARTINS COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MARTINS COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1127906

Location

ST MARTINS COTTAGE, 36, APTHORPE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fulbourn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51408

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5156 FULBOURN APTHORPE STREET (North East Side)

10/3 No.36 (St. Martins Cottage) GV II

Cottage dated 1661 over porch with C18 and C20 extensions at the rear. Timber framed, plaster rendered with thatched roof of long straw and original red brick ridge stack of grouped shafts. Original lobby entry and three bay plan with porch. One storey and attics. Two gable dormers. Three windows, on either side of the 1661 two storey gabled and thatched porch. Small fixed light window to gable end of porch probably replacing an original casement. At the rear is a small service wing, C18, probably also timber framed and rendered with a chamfered main beam. Interior: Timber framing exposed with straight bracing. Stop chamfered main beams and hearth lintels. The inglenook hearth has a spice cupboard with original door with butterfly hinges and a bread oven with patent iron door of C19. Two upper rooms have original hearths, one with stop chamfered lintel. There are two raised tie beam trusses to the centre bays. R.C.H.M: record card V.A.G: Journal 1970-71 p.15

Listing NGR: TL5196056513

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Journal' in Vernacular Architecture Group Journal, (1970), 15

National Grid Reference: TL 51960 56513

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127906 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:26:07.

End of official listing