CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127918

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 03:21:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: West Wickham

National Grid Reference: TL 61206 49214

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST WICKHAM TL 6149 18/128 Church of St 22.11.67 Mary GV II* Parish Church. Mainly C14 with restoration of c.1900. Coursed flint with clunch and limestone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch and north chapel and chancel. West tower of four stages, with blocked parapet and three-stage diagonally set buttressing. Restored reticulated tracery to west window. Newel stair turret in south west angle. Aisleless nave, c.1350 with south porch. South wall has three windows, restored, of cinquefoil lights. South porch has two centred outer arch of one continuous wave and one ogee moulded order. Inner archway of two continuous ogee moulded orders. Chancel: c.1320. Three restored windows of clunch, of two cinquefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two-centred arches. East window of similar period, restored. North chapel added C15. Two blocked windows, clunch, with vertical tracery. Blocked doorway on west side. North doorway to nave of clunch. Interior: two-centred west tower arch of three chamfered orders on high chamfered base. Roof in four bays. Braced tie beams and collar. Tie beam nearest chancel arch enriched with chevron ornament and the date 1615 is carved on it. North chapel now organ chamber. Reset C13 arch of two chamfered orders on half octagonal responds. Chancel arch of two centred arch on three shaft responds. Chancel has moulded string at sill height and a label carried above the rear window arches and teminating in a mask head on either side of east window. Two niches flank the east window, each with trefoil head as is the arch to the piscina in the south. Monument: north wall of chancel. Henry Harrison (d.1690). Black marble tablet in bolection moulded frame flanked by Corinthian pilasters.

R.C.H.M. Record Card (1951) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p479



Listing NGR: TL6120649214

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51330

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 479

End of official listing