CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1127948

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOCKLEY GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1127948 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 08:39:45.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HOCKLEY GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Shudy Camps

National Grid Reference: TL 62059 44411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHUDY CAMPS HOCKLEY GREEN TL 6244 21/97 (East Side) 22.11.67 Church of St Mary II* Parish Church. C13 chancel, C14-C15 nave and west tower. Restored 1870-90. Flint, fieldstone and clunch and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. West tower, aisleless nave. South porch and chancel. West tower of three stages with C17 red brick embattlement. Main cornice with gargoyle and two stage diagonal buttressing. West window of clunch. Two cinquefoil lights in two centred arch and square head with figures in spandrel niches. Lancets to first stage and two cinquefoil light bell stage openings. Nave: two C15, windows, restored in south wall. Chancel, C13 origin, restored. South doorway of two continuous chamfered orders in two centred arch. The remaining windows in the chancel are C15, restored C19. The south porch has C15 crownpost roof, the inner arch is two centred and of continuous ogee moulded order in square head with foiled spandrels. Interior: two centred tower arch of two chamfered orders. Four bay nave roof with ashlar pieces, and arch braced collars and moulded ties. Restored. Two centred chancel arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal responds. Monuments in chancel: south wall Mrs Elizabeth Dayrell (d.1768) by T Carter (sgd); east wall Marmaduke Dayrell (d.1790) and Henrietta (d.1795); Brownlow Dayrell (d.1773); north wall Francis Dayrell d.1760).

R.C.H.M. Record Card Pevsner: Buildings of England, p456



Listing NGR: TL6205944411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51299

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 456

End of official listing