MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128005

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, 50, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 06:12:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, 50, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thriplow

National Grid Reference: TL 44293 46485

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4446 THRIPLOW CHURCH STREET (West Side) 14/291 No. 50 (Manor Farmhouse) 22.11.67 GV II* Farmhouse, now a house. C15 with late C16 or early C17 and C18 alterations; renovated c.1950 and extended to south. Timber-framed with roughcast render. Old plain tiled and C20 tiled roofs. Tall C17 stack to left of cross wing and two C20 stacks to extension; gable end stack to east of cross wing, red brick in English bond, rectangular planned with offsets and two diagonal shafts with cornice. One storey and attic open hall range with two storey jettied cross wing to north of four timber-framed bays. Small two storeyed C17 projecting wing to north; staircase projection to rear in angle and original cross passage entrance; staircase projection to rear in angle and original entrance. Three ground floor casement windows, one casement attic window and four gabled dormer windows: two entrances with C20 door and panelled-door to right hand. Interior: Central truss of open hall with plain and hollow-chamfered posts continuous over curved solid braces to soffit of tie beam; crown post with four straight braces to collar and purlin. Inserted stack and floor, evidence of mullioned hall window and grooves for shutters with similar windows to cross wing. Staircase rebuilt c.1950 incorporating original material and shaped finials. Cross wing with complete crown post roof, stop-chamfered ceiling beams, and C17 sealed ovolo mullioned windows. Ground floor fireplace of clunch, square-headed with some original ogee-moulding; first floor fireplace with segmental plastered brick arch and overmantle with simple pediment and boss enrichment. Some early plank doors and resited door head. The farmhouse was formerly Suttons one of two estates held by the Bishop of Ely and sold in 1538 to St John's College, Cambridge. .. R.C.H.M. Report 1950 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.241

Listing NGR: TL4429346485

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53110

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 241

End of official listing