Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128012

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967



Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 18:34:10.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thriplow

National Grid Reference: TL 43904 46414


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4246 THRIPLOW MIDDLE STREET (East Side) 13/308 No. 27 (The Manor House) 22.11.67 GV II* Manor House. 1563 carved beam, with C17 additions and alterations, said to have been restored by James Essex in late C18, kitchen addition c.1800 and C20 alterations and additions. Timber-framed with roughcast panels; hipped and gabled plain tiled roofs. Red brick chimney stack with four grouped diagonal shaft partly rebuilt, side stack with grouped shafts to left hand rear wing and plain square planned ridge stack to right hand rear wing. Two storeys with attics; original continuous jetty with boxed joists; lobby entry with C19 six-panelled door with insurance fire plaque above. Two ground floor double-light windows with glazing bars, repeated at first floor with leaded light casements possibly C18 and similar central two-light casement window. Interior: Exposed substantial timber-frame; room to west with folded leaf ornament carved on main ceiling beams with double ogee and aris moulding and inscription 'ANO DNI 1563 R.E. REGINA 5'. Fireplace, restored C17 four-centred arched clunch insertion to original larger opening; room to east has secondary beams with roll and hollow chamfer moulding. Doy leg staircase, C17 closed string, with turned balusters and moulded handrail. Rooms in rear wings with early C17 panelling reset, first floor room to north-west with late C17 bolection moulded panelling of two heights, reset C17 panelling to north-east room. Some late C17 two-panelled doors. The manor house stands on the west side of the moated site of Barrinytons Manor. It was owned by Sir Christopher Hatton in 1681; in 1696 it was sold to Dr Humphrey Gower, master of St Johns, Cambridge and up to the mid C18 was used as a vacation residence by masters of the college. In 1781 it was partly demolished. R.C.H.M. Report 1950 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.242

Listing NGR: TL4390446414


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53127

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 242

End of official listing