This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MILL HOUSE (HAMILTON KERR INSTITUTE) AND MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MILL HOUSE (HAMILTON KERR INSTITUTE) AND MILL

List entry Number: 1128020

Location

MILL HOUSE (HAMILTON KERR INSTITUTE) AND MILL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whittlesford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4648 WHITTLESFORD MILL LANE 10/328 Mill House (Hamilton Kerr Institute) and 22.11.67 Mill GV II House, by Ebenezer Hollick, miller (d.1828) dated brick near entrance E.H.1763. C19 and c.1970 additions and alterations. Red brick with gauged brick and limestone dressings. Plain tiled roofs. Two storeys with attics, double pile plan with irregular five 'bay' facade. Plain parapet with parapet gables and end stacks. Moulded brick cornice and band between floors and plinth. First floor brick coursed with headers. Entrance with Doric pilasters and entablature; four ground floor and five first floor slightly recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows shaped to segmental brick arched heads with stone console keys. Two hipped dormer windows. Interior: Details largely C19 include a (late C18 white marble fireplace RCHM since removed) and two first floor eared wooden fireplaces. The mill of two ranges linked by a cartway has been altered as studios, library and liviing accommodation. Some corn bins in situ in the attic floor and pulley wheel. Other machinery removed. VCH. Vol I p270. RCHM Report 1950

Listing NGR: TL4774148392

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 270

National Grid Reference: TL 47741 48392

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:30:47.

End of official listing