PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128042

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:21:44.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Thriplow

National Grid Reference: TL 44205 46956

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4446 THRIPLOW CHURCH STREET (East Side) 14/280 Parish Church of St George 22.11.67 II* Parish Church. Some reused C12 material; central tower, north and south transepts and chancel C13. Nave C15. South porch in 1742 (Cole) rebuilt with vestry in C19. Restoration by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1876. Walls of flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of slate. South elevation: Cruciform plan. Chancel refaced, with diagonal two stage buttresses and parapet gable; restored C15 windows and C13 priest's door. (internal remains of splays of original C13 windows). Crossing tower of three stages, embattled with moulded string course stepped up below belfry window of two-lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centre arch. Lead covered spirelet possibly C15, and vice forming an irregular polygon to the west corner of the tower. South transept with diagonal buttress and gable parapet, (restored C13 lancet in east wall), south window modern with C14 shafted internal opening. Embattled nave of three buttressed bays; two south windows similar to north windows, restored of three cinquefoil-lights with vertical tracery in four centred heads. C19 south porch, restored C15 south doorway with moulded four-centred head label and jambs. Interior: Tower arches; to nave, chancel and transepts, similar C13, two-centred with three chamfered-orders with responds of two chamfered- and hollow-chamfered-orders with moulded bases and capitals of clunch. C15 tower door. Piscinae with square and round bowls in chamfered recess. C13 or C14. Niche with canopy C15, wall painting on south jamb of lancet in east wall of north transept. Font C12, large square bowl of Purbeck marble with round headed arches in slight relief on sides supported on round shaft with C19 outer pillars. Screen, C15 of three bays. Roofs C19 replacements. Glass C15 at head of window in north have wall. Monuments: Two Purbeck marble indents, one C15. Two coffins and coffin lid C13 with incised cross with stepped base. In south transept; wall monument of classical design with black painted columns supporting a frieze inscribed 'HERE LIETH THE BODIE OF EDWARDE LUCAS OF BASSETS IN THRIPLOW ESQUIRE WHICH MARIED MARIE THE ELDEST DAUGHTER OF SIR NICHOLAS HERON OF EDGCOM IN CROYDON IN THE COUNTY OF SURREY KNIGHT. THIS EDWARDE LUCAS DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE XVII TH DAYS OF IULYIE AND DOMINI 1601', between the columns recessed below two arches are five figures of the family, above the entablature set in strapwork are the family arms. North transept; white marble slab by Gilbert of Cambridge to Mary Renovard d.1827, to John Perkins 1750 and Mary his wife 1746 pedimented grey and black marble with cartouche of arms below. Floor slabs: in chancel to Rev John Jenks 1849, to Katherine Ducfeilds (Whale) 1612: in north transept to Ambrose Bening 1720 and Susannah Bening his wife 1711, to Ambrose Bening 1819, to Mary Perkinse 1746, to George Clarke Bradbury Berry 1821: in south transept, to John Perkins 1750, to Rev Wm Bening 1792, to Anne Bening 1716 and Ambrose Bening 1720 to C.S. daughter of Rev Butler Berry 1818, to Mary Berry 1806, to Francis Gunning 1778, to Margaret Desborough 1799. R.C.H.M. Report 1950 V.C.H. VI, p.246 "

Listing NGR: TL4420546956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53099

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 246

End of official listing