Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128048

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CALDREES MANOR, 2, ABBEY STREET, CB10 1SS


Ordnance survey map of CALDREES MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 04:10:28.


Statutory Address: CALDREES MANOR, 2, ABBEY STREET, CB10 1SS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ickleton

National Grid Reference: TL 49306 43805


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2016

TL 4843 21/200

ICKLETON, ABBEY STREET (North-west side), No. 2 (Caldrees Manor)

(Formerly listed as No. 2 (Caldress Manor))




Large house. Possibly C16 or C17 origins with c.1800 additions by P C Wyndham and later C19 additions and alterations by Sir Robert Herbert; (service wing demolished c.1980). Gault brick with C20 red plain tiled roofs. Red brick C19 end stacks and large C17 square planned ridge stack in south-east elevation, three C19 stacks in north-west elevation. Three bay red brick range to south-west possibly C18 partly rebuilt. Two storeys with attics. Original three unit plan timber-framed building to south-east, extended to north-west c.1800, and to north-east in two C19 extensions when the main facade was rebuilt and the former entrance removed and re-sited to north-east. Reused rainwater head dated 1758 re-sited in north-west elevation. South-east elevation: Ten unequal bays; main entrance with gabled porch with attached sandstone columns, free acanthus capitals and bases, four-centred arch with inset shield of arms, six-panelled door with side lights. Three rectangular planned two-storey bay windows to left hand; hung sash windows at both floor levels of various sizes with glazing bars, and gauged brick window arches. Parapet gable to right hand slightly advanced and continuous around bay windows with stone and cornice band coping. Commemoration plaque beside entrance inscribed 'Queensland Women's Historical Association 1964. First and youngest premier. Sir Robert G Wyndham Herbert 1859 (1829-1905)'. Mid C18 entrance door re-sited in north-east elevation; wooden rusticated backing, six raised-and-fielded- panelled-door with integral round headed fanlight and flanking pilasters. INTERIOR: Remodelled in C19 with original floor levels altered. Drawing room and library with pillared entrance from passage and two early C18 chimney pieces one with Rococo detail, rooms to north altered later in C19 as library and passage blocked. Doors to drawing room and dining room with fluted architraves and corner bosses, one pair of doors segmental in plan. Hall chimney piece rebuilt with late C17 fluted Ionic pilasters said to have originated from The Grange, Ickleton; fluted architraves to late C19 panelled doors, and early C18 chimney piece re-sited in former billiard room.

VCH Vol. VI p.234 RCHM Report 1949 Bristowe, R.L. Ickleton 1984

Listing NGR: TL4930643805


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53012

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Bristowe, R L, Ickleton, (1984)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 234

End of official listing