THE OAK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128078

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: THE OAK HOUSE, 105, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OAK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 20:56:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OAK HOUSE, 105, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hinxton

National Grid Reference: TL 49446 45491

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4845 HINXTON HIGH STREET (West Side) 20/174 No. 105 (The Oak 22.11.67 House) GV II* Courthouse or woolhall converted in late C16 or later to domestic use, restored c.1930, architect Col Elliot. Close-studded timber-frame with plastered panels and C20 red brick nogging at ground floor. Plain tiled roof. Ridge stack to right of centre, end stack to right hand and side stack to rear rebuilt or partly rebuilt with dentil brick cornices. Two storeys with inserted attic floors. Five original equal bays divided by closed truss to two rooms at each floor with three bays to south rooms and two bays to north, (rebuilding of west wall may be evidence for a wing or staircase). Street elevation: Gable end jetty to left hand; main entrance in second bay from south with plank door. Four ground floor and five first floor c.1930 iron casement windows with leaded lights. Interior: Double ogee-moulded cross beams, defaced corbels to posts of main south room. Cambered tie beams with hollow-chamfered solid braces and with octagonal crown posts braced to collar purlin; plain crown posts and unmoulded tie beam to north room. Paintings seen in south room 1951 not visible. C16 and C17 oak panelling reset. R.C.H.M. Report, 1951 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p221

Listing NGR: TL4944645491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52987

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 221

End of official listing